Dental anxiety is not uncommon at all. If we look at the recent statistics, about 22% of people in the UK are anxious to visit a dentist for checkups or treatments. So, if you fear visiting a dentist and you loathe sitting in the dentist’s chair, you are not alone. The reasons can be several. It can be because of a bad or painful experience in the past or you may be afraid of getting bad news.
There may be other reasons as well for not visiting the dentist. Some people avoid it because it becomes pretty hard for them to sit still for a long time or they may have an exceptionally strong gag reflex. In any case, your dental health is likely to suffer if you don’t visit the dentist for regular checkups and more so if you genuinely require treatment.
Sedation Dentistry is one way to tackle anxiety, dental phobia, or sensitive gag reflex.
What is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry, also known as relaxation dentistry, involves administering controlled dosages of specific medication to help you feel comfortable and relaxed in the dentist’s chair. This allows you a chance to get the care you need as it relaxes your body and reduces the pain during the treatment.
Most dentists use nitrous oxide, better known as laughing gas, as a sedative. It is a form of Conscious IV Sedation. Your dentist may administer it about an hour before the treatment. You will start feeling the effect throughout your body a few minutes after breathing in the gas.
This type of sedation is useful in keeping the patients calm and relaxed during the following procedures:
- Root Canals
- Dental Crowns
- Gum disease treatment
- Cosmetic Procedures
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
If you are curious to know the advantages associated with sedation dentistry, here are some of the most noteworthy ones.
- Even though you might have spent a few hours in the dental chair, you will feel that the treatment you were undergoing lasted only a few minutes. This way it makes you feel that your appointment has gone by much faster.
- Sedation not only makes you feel that your treatment lasted shorter, but it also cuts your dentist visit a little shorter in real. When you are calm and feeling relaxed, your dentist can carry out the procedures faster. However, this does not mean that they rush through the treatment.
- It helps in reducing the effects of pain during the procedure. So the pain, regardless of its intensity, will not bother you as much. Moreover, it will also reduce the effect of anxiety that you suffer during your treatment.
- Having a strong gag reflex might cause you to gag or even throw up in the mouth during any procedure. But sedation will reduce the strength of your gag reflex so that you can get a gag-free treatment.
- With the help of preventive dentistry, your chances of missing out on regular dental checkups reduce to a minimum. Since sedation helps manage your dental anxiety, you will hardly miss out on sedation dentistry. This is important to prevent oral issues like reducing cavities and gum disease.
- Some people are unable to sit still because of a medical condition or pain in their bodies. Sedation dentistry, however, helps you sit still for extended periods, without needing to get up during the entire course of the treatment.
Side Effects of Sedation Dentistry
The side effects of sedation dentistry are uncommon and minimal. If experienced, they generally wear off pretty fast.
- Possible allergic reaction
Precautions to Follow:
Before you go ahead with sedation dentistry, it is important to follow certain precautionary measures.
1. Talk with Your Dentist
It is critical to consult your dentist before going for sedation dentistry if you have any existing medical issues. Your dentist should know your entire medical history before administering any form of sedation.
2. Find a Dentist with Experience in Sedation Dentistry
It is always advisable to choose a dentist who has reasonable experience in performing sedation dentistry. This will ensure that you are in safe hands, giving you much-needed peace of mind.
3. Ask Questions
Having the exact knowledge of what you will be going through will give you the required confidence. So it is important to ask any questions that you may have about sedation dentistry or the actual treatment.
We know it is vital to look after your oral health and for that visiting a dentist for regular check-ups or treatments is a must. So, if you feel anxious or are just uncomfortable with the idea of sitting in the dental chair, sedation dentistry is for you.
At Complete Smiles, we aim to help our patients achieve happy and healthy smiles. Our sedation options will help you stay relaxed and comfortable throughout the procedure. This makes us one of the most reliable dental practices in Harrow. Book an appointment today or call us at 020 4541 1150.
We offer high-end dentistry under one roof that includes general dentistry, cosmetic dentistry, Invisalign treatment, and dental implants among others.